Editor's note: This story was provided to The News by Teena Ligman of the Hoosier National Forest and was taken from the Historical Snapshots Installments.
The Forest Service was established in Indiana in February 1935 after the 73rd Indiana Congress passed an Enabling Act. Four ranger districts, each managing a purchase unit, were established and land purchases began.
By mid-1936 the Forest Service had about 35,000 acres in Indiana approved for purchase. The four districts were Pleasant Run, Lost River, Patoka and Lafayette ranger districts.