Today's News

  • Helping Hoosiers with epilepsy

    State Rep. Lloyd Arnold

    District 74


    A number of young Hoosiers throughout the state suffer from certain forms of epilepsy that are unresponsive to traditional methods of medical treatment.

    Cannabidiol oil, or CBD oil, has shown documented effectiveness in managing the symptoms of severe epilepsy in about 80 percent of cases like these. Last month, a law I co-authored went into effect permitting a person to possess CBD oil if they or someone in their care has been diagnosed with severe, treatment-resistant epilepsy.

  • Saving Rome’s courthouse will take all of us

    We wish the best of luck to organizers who met in Rome Thursday night to seek ways to both honor the upcoming bicentennial of the Rome Courthouse and to preserve it for future generations.

    The courthouse needs work and most pressing, perhaps, is its roof. Other parts of the building need work and updates, such as the kitchen, for it to continue serving the community for events such as the annual Dogwood Tour.

  • Waiting on Eclipse 2024

    Vince Luecke


    editor@perry countynews.com


    Like a lot of people, I expected a bit more darkness when last Monday’s moon covered about 97 percent of the sun. The remaining 3 percent carried quite the punch.

  • Our View: City needs insurance adviser

    We credit the Tell City Common Council for its decision earlier this month to seek bids on city insurance. We know of no issues with the city’s existing insurance coverage or provider but we think competition is a good thing, whether the city is purchasing insurance coverage, gasoline for its fleet of vehicles or asphalt for streets.

  • Rockport to host Blues on the Rock Sunday

    ROCKPORT – The 3rd Annual Blues on the Rock will be held at the Rockport City Park on Sunday, Sept. 3,  in Rockport. This year’s festival finds the same great atmosphere and provides a terrific way to celebrate the Labor Day holiday, promoters say.

    Sponsored in conjunction with the City of Rockport, the Association for a Better Rockport, and the River Basin Blues Society, a $5 admission at the gate brings a day of food, barbecue, a beer garden and inflatables that offers fun for the whole family.

  • Joshua William Heeke

    Vicky and Brent Heeke of Rosenburg, Texas, announce the birth of their son, Joshua William Heeke, on July 12, 2017. Joshua weighed 8 ½ pounds and was 21 inches long.

    Maternal grandparents are David and Becky Wood of Sugarland, Texas. Paternal grandparents are Frank and Martha Heeke of Evanston.

    The mother is the former Vicky Wood. Joshua was welcomed home by his siblings, John, Daniel, Benjamin, Joseph, David, Michael, Stephen, Luke and Anna.

  • Houtchen-Powers

    In a May 6, 2017, ceremony inside First Christian Church in Troy, Molly Houtchen and Gordon Powers were united in marriage.

    The bride is the daughter of Gary and Bertha Armes of Hardinsburg, Ky. The groom is the son of the late Charlie and Carolyn Powers.

    Jack Masterson officiated at the 4 p.m. ceremony, in which the bride was given in marriage by her father.

  • Gowan-Hakes

    David and Julie Hakes of Tell City announce the engagement and approaching marriage of their son, Matthew David Hakes, to Tosha Michelle Gowan, daughter of Kent and Rhonda Backus of Salem.

    The future bride is a 2007 graduate of Salem High School and received a degree from Ivy Tech Community College in 2013. She is employed as an emergency medical dispatcher at American Medical Response in Evansville.

  • Houchin joins Holcomb for INSPECT announcement

    INDIANAPOLIS – State Sen. Erin Houchin (R-Salem) joined Gov. Eric Holcomb and members of the Indiana Commission to Combat Drug Abuse Thursday to announce the statewide integration of Indiana’s prescription drug monitoring program, INSPECT, into electronic health records.

    The integration of INSPECT will enable prescribers to quickly and efficiently search a patient’s previous prescription history at no cost to the facility or individual practitioner. Indiana will be the seventh state to implement this type of program.

  • Warrant service leads to drug arrest

    PERRY COUNTY – A Cannelton man was back behind bars earlier this month after troopers allegedly found narcotics in his possession while trying to serve him with an arrest warrant.