Veterans may get extra Social Security pay

-A A +A
By The Staff

PERRY COUNTY - People who served in the military between January 1957 and December 2001 may get a slightly higher Social Security benefit when they retire than they expect.

"Since 1957, if you had military service earnings for active duty, including active duty for training, you paid Social Security taxes on those earnings," the Social Security Administration explains at www.ssa.gov/retire2/military.htm.

Those who served from 1968 through 2001 shouldn't have to do anything to receive the extra credits, as they should already have been calculated, the agency reports.

Perry County Veterans Services Officer Wayne Hubert said Wednesday the credit amounts to only a few dollars a month, but he encourages people to take their Department of Defense Form

214, issued to them when they were discharged, when they apply for Social Security.