- Special Sections
- Public Notices
TELL CITY—Tell City won the top two singles matches and No. 2 doubles to beat Pike Central 3-2 in PAC boys tennis Thursday.
That was the Marksmen’s third win in three days and fifth in a row as they raised their record to 5-2 in the PAC and 6-3 overall.
“This was probably the best we played as a team all year,” said Tell City Coach Nick Weyer. “From top to bottom, I was extremely proud of our play tonight. Pike Central is a solid, well-coached team; therefore, this is a good win for us.
“It’s been a tiring, hot week, but the gentlemen worked hard and had positive outcomes.”
Jake Swihart and Zach Fisher won their singles matches in straight sets. Tyler Groves and Kevin Yeung also won their doubles match in straight sets.
All the Marksmen had positive results in a 5-0 win over South Spencer Wednesday.
They won four matches in straight sets and one by forfeit.
Jeff Yeung and Austin Paulin did have to go to a first-set tie-breaker in their No. 1 doubles victory.
“This was a great win, especially considering the hot conditions,” said Weyer. “Jake and Zach dominated their opponents by playing within themselves, playing their game.
“No. 2 doubles played excellent—their movement at the net was outstanding. Jeff and Austin did well getting the job done when it was needed.”
Tell City will host Boonville today at 4:30 p.m.
Tell City 5, South Spencer 0
1. Jake Swihart (TC) def. Davis Jeffries 6-0, 6-2.
2. Zach Fischer (TC) def. Kyle Market 6-0, 6-0.
3. Luke Thomas (TC) won by forfeit.
1. Austin Paulin and Jeff Yeung (TC) def. Taylor Market and Bryce Buse 7-6 (7-3), 6-4.
2. Tyler Groves and Kevin Yeung (TC) def. Collin Buse and Nick Sibrel 6-1, 6-0.
Tell City 3, Pike Central 2
1. Swihart (TC) def. Aaron Keeps 6-2, 6-1.
2. Fischer (TC) def. Ty Smith 6-3, 6-1.
3. Tanner McFarland (PiC) def. Thomas 6-0, 6-1.
1. Kyle Keepes and Chris Downey (PiC) def. Paulin and Jeff Yeung 6-2, 2-6, 6-2.
2. Groves and Kevin Yeung (TC) def. Sam Stone and Drew Welch 6-1, 6-1.