- Special Sections
- Public Notices
Editor's Note: This is the first in an occasional series on the Tell City Historical Society Museum. Future installments will profile some of the museum's offerings and projects.
Through the years, Perry Country has been blessed with good doctors. These were dedicated people who went beyond the call of duty and made house visits or delivered babies at home. At the Historical Society Museum in Tell City, there is a collection of pictures and artifacts from these great people.
Some of these doctors were: Drs. Magnus Bucher, Hardin Dome, Bernard Lally, Porter Coultas and N.A. James, the latter of whom opened the Parkview Hospital in 1923. No doubt many of you were born or treated in this facility.
This hospital remained open until the Perry County Memorial Hospital was built in 1950. When Parkview closed, Dr. James continued his practice in Tell City with his father. Dr. Adeline Muelchi was the first female doctor in the county. Dr. Charles Bruche started his practice in 1882 and was not only a doctor but also became a mayor of Tell City. Dr. Noel Neifert started his practice in 1948 and worked until his death in 1980. During this time he delivered 2,409 babies, including a set of triplets.
In the same year, 1948, Dr. Lewis Lohoff started his practice. He was a descendent of either Lewis or Clark of the Lewis and Clark Expedition fame. Other area doctors featured at the museum are Dr. Lashley, Dr. Hargis, Dr. Cluthe, and Dr. Dukes.
Dentists noted in this section of the museum are Dr. Gustav Walters, Dr. Kaison, Dr. Becker (who worked for 60 years in this area), and Dr. James Current. There is a display of Dr. Current's diploma, one of his dental chairs, a cabinet with the dental instruments used during his practice and his appointment book.
In a display case there are several artifacts of glass syringes, Red Cross memorabilia, and various medical instruments. How fortunate our area was and continues to be with the numbers of men and women dedicated to the health care of the people of our area
The museum is open 2 to 4 p.m. Sunday afternoons and most Wednesday evenings from 6 to 8 p.m. Admission is free.
Membership is $10 for adults, $5 for those under 18, and $200 for a lifetime membership. For more information on membership call 547-8903.