Taylor charged with murder in death of Warrick woman

-A A +A
By The Staff

DALE - A Dale man has been arrested and charged with murder and feticide in connection with the death of a Warrick County woman.

Brooke Balbach, 22, was killed late last week in her home at 11377 State Road 161, about a mile south of Selvin, according to Warrick County Sheriff Marvin Heilman.

She was found Friday, Dec. 14, by Stanley Offil, 25, the woman's boyfriend. Police said Balbach and Offil shared the home. Offil, a truck driver who had been out of town, called 911 at 11:27 a.m., according to Heilman's press release.

According to Robert Fuller, a Warrick County deputy coroner, Balbach died sometime between 11 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 13, and 6 a.m. Friday.

At about 5 p.m. Saturday, Preston J. Taylor, 25, of 513 S. Walnut St., in Dale, was arrested and charged. According to Heilman, Balbach was about four months pregnant. Feticide is the intentional destruction of a human fetus.

Fuller said Balbach had planned to have an ultrasound Monday to learn the sex of the unborn child.

According to court records filed by the Warrick County prosecutor's office Monday, Dec. 17, Offil told officers Balbach appeared to have a stab wound on her neck.

Warrick County Sheriff's Deputy Michael K. Wilder was one of several police officers to respond to Offil's 911 call and found Balbach lying dead on the bedroom floor. According to Wilder's affidavit, "it appeared foul play was involved."

According to Wilder's affidavit, Offil said he came home at about 11:26 a.m. and found Balbach lying on the floor with a cover over her head and most of her body.

Court affidavits say that a neighbor saw a truck that looked like Taylor's truck at Balbach's residence between midnight and 4 a.m. Friday.

Wilder said in his affidavit that he saw a boot or shoe print on Balbach's chest, along with a "black, greasy substance." The affidavit said Wilder also saw blood on Balbach's throat and on a pillow and the mattress.

Affidavits filed with Warrick County Court say that Taylor told others he choked Balbach.

According to court documents, Taylor allegedly said he was not mad at Balbach and allegedly gave no reason for killing her.

Taylor turned himself in at the Spencer County Law Enforcement Center.

According to Wilder's affidavit, he learned from an Indiana State trooper that the autopsy showed strangulation as the cause of death.