- Special Sections
- Public Notices
TELL CITY—Erik Lassaline and John Stiles won the Glen Ress Memorial Open golf scramble Sunday with a 36-hole score of 124.
Lassaline and Stiles are former star golfers for Tell City High School and also former Schweizer Fest tourney winners. Lassaline still lives in Tell City and Stiles lives in Santa Claus.
They are also former winners of the Glen Ress Memorial Open, though they had never won it together.
Lassaline won it in 2005 and 2000 when he teamed with Murray Minto. Stiles won it in 2006 when partnered with Bob Linne and in 1997 with Dan LaGrange.
Scores this year were better than usual, as Lassaline and Stiles’ winning score tied for third best in the tourney’s 21-year history (not counting the years the tourney was shortened to fewer than 36 holes due to rain).
Guy Clark and Rick Hankins set the record with a 121 in 1994. Stiles and LaGrange shot 122 in 1997, and Stiles and Linne shot 124 in 2006.
All four prize-winning teams in the championship flight this year shot better than last year’s winning score.
Rich Krzykowski and John Lyons placed second at 128.
Perry Central golf coach Bill Dickerson and Tyler Griffith were third at 129. Brett Hagedorn and Jeff Wrye took fourth, also with 129.
Sixty-two teams competed in the two-day tourney.
Fifteen teams competed in the 18-hole senior tourney Friday evening. To compete in it, men had to be at least age 60 and women at least 50, and one member of each team had to be a member of Hoosier Heights Country Club.
George Lorenz and Kim Collins won it with a 66.
The senior tourney, now in its second year, was designed for those who may not feel up to a 36-hole two-day tourney any longer.
But golfers can compete in both tourneys, and Jim Thompson won prizes in both.
He and his wife, Tammy, won the first flight of the senior tourney Friday with a 73.
Thompson then teamed with his son, Dirk, in the regular tourney. They placed third in the third flight with a 152.
Proceeds from the Glen Ress Memorial Open will benefit Perry County schools’ athletic programs. The tourney is named for a former Tell City High School golfer who died of leukemia.
Lassaline was a teammate of Ress in high school.
Top finishers in each flight:
1. Erik Lassaline/John Stiles 124
2. Rich Krzykowski/John Lyons 128
3. Bill Dickerson/Tyler Griffith 129
4. Brett Hagedorn/Jeff Wrye 129
1. Brett Dawson/Rob Jones 133
2. Harvey Clayton/Phil Hinchcliffe 136
3. John Anderson/Andrew Losch 137
4. Clay Ewing/Matthew Ewing 140
1. Randy Fischer/Kelly Fischer 141
2. Mark Short/Brad Henrickson 144
3. J.B. Land/Gary Butler 146
4. Bill Alvey/Paul Fratturo 146
1. Larry Baur/Gary Glenn 145
2. Dave Alvey/Kevin Alvey 150
3. Jim Thompson/Dirk Thompson 152
4. Don Etienne/Josh Etienne 153
1. George Lorenz/Kim Collins 66
2. Dave Hammond/Fred Johnson 67
3. Rod Malone/Bob Ward 68
1. Tammy Thompson/Jim Thompson 73
2. Brent Cardinal/Mary Kay Cardinal 77
3. Gene Borders/Joe Baxter 78