- Special Sections
- Public Notices
By VINCE LUECKE, Editor
Someone asked me not long ago about what stories I’d like to write if I had the time. I clicked off a few ideas but I’ve thought about the question since then.
The list has grown longer and I’ll mention a few here in hopes readers can help contact me with feature stories. Most of these are outdoors related, a sign, perhaps, that I wish I could be outside more. If you or someone you know participates in any of these activities, call me at 547-3424 or drop me an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Bullfrog hunting. I haven’t held a gig in 20 years but I would love to tag along for a night of frog hunting. Some hunters use rifles but regardless of the method, I’d like to spend part of a night hunting frogs.
• Turtle noodling. I have heard of brave souls in the area who hunt for snapping turtles by sticking their hands into holes along the edges of lakes and ponds. I'll hold the camera while they practice their craft.
• Bow-hunting carp. More and more people are into bowhunting nuisance carp in the Ohio River and its tributaries. I’d like watch hunters at work.
• Fall harvest. When fall arrives, I’d like to spend part of a day with a local farmer as he or she harvests corn or soybeans, chops silage or takes part in some other harvest activity.
• Not every story on the wish list has to do with the outdoors. I think a story on expectant couples who choose to know or not know the gender of their baby would make interesting reading. Why do some couples choose not to know whether they’re having a boy or a girl? Why do others choose to know? Any expectant mothers out there debating the decision? If so, let me know.
• I hear there are Wiccans or folks who are interested in or practice a nature-based system of faith and values. I know a little about those beliefs and have an interest in learning more, not as much from a personal deep-seated belief but because my ancestors once held similar beliefs.
Anyone want to share their experiences with me?
These are just a few ideas. I have others and I’ll pass them on in this space from time to time. Thanks for reading.